VMware have just released the public technology preview for VMware Workstation 2012.
About the Tech Preview
The VMware Workstation Team is providing public access to the VMware Workstation Technology Preview 2012 to gather real-world feedback from our users.
This VMware Workstation Technology Preview does not contain major new features, but it does include significant changes to our core virtualization technology. We would appreciate your feedback in the following areas :-
- Windows 8 – We would like you to test the Windows 8 Consumer Preview and the Windows Server 8 Beta as both host and guest OSs and report any issues that you encounter.
- Graphics Rendering – We have made substantial changes to our graphics virtualization code. We are in the process of optimizing the new graphics code for performance, but currently need feedback to ensure that applications are rendering correctly and are stable.
- OpenGL for Linux Guests – VMware has developed an OpenGL graphics driver and upstreamed it to X.Org. The driver has been included in the Ubuntu 12.04 Beta among other Linux distributions. We would like our users to install the Ubuntu beta as a guest OS and give us feedback on the capability and performance of the new driver.
- Nested Virtualization – In Workstation 8 we made VT extensions available to the guest OS. This Technology Preview includes major changes to the implementation and we would like our users to try running ESX and Hyper-V as guests. Please read the Technology Preview 2012 March Overview for more details.
- Miscellaneous – There are several additional enhancements including recent searches will be remembered, tabs have been added to the full screen toolbar on Windows hosts, and the Linux version of Workstation can download VMs from vSphere.
You can download the VMware Workstation Technology Preview from the VMware Communities site here
Use the following License Key to activate the product – M108C-N0LE1-08L82-03ARK-2EJPY (the key expires on October 15th 2012)
Please provide any feedback here
At the same time they have also released the Technology Preview for VMware Fusion, more information on that can be found here